Hard to get rins

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

Might as well start the discussion now, seeing as we might also get this resolved as well by 1.04...

Anyways, what are your ideas to make the rin economy more accessable that doesn't involve morally questionable actions? (killing ferians & teratons)

I'd suggest making teratons so much less annoyingly picky. They only buy high end military ammo and weapons specifically; why not just any high-end devices & armor? (ie, min level of VII, as it currently is IIRC)
Perhapse a better buy margin; and reducing the sell margin of unknown devices would help too.
Research stations could also buy mid & high medical goods.

[Note; this is still a sepparate issue from the reactors. Don't argue about them here. And don't argue this point either. They are sepparate issues, that's that. When atarlost makes a balance descision, that's... generally it. Unless its related to mining, which is broken and has to be re-worked anwyays]
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Have Taikon buy back stuff like other Corporate stations.

Edit - Nevermind, as Atarlost points out.
Last edited by PM on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wurmish
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I think Teratons and to a lesser extent Ringers buying MORE STUFF would be about it. Along with a better selling margin too.

I still like the idea from awhile back about having a specialty conversion station where you can exchange for a low rate (40% of what you put in tops I would say, more like 20-30%, exchange BOTH ways), or a station that has 2 shops, one devoted to credits and one for rins, which exchange similar goods at similar prices (e.g. will take ore/raw materials for credits or rins, or you can buy from credits and sell for rins, etc.)
My first mod, mostly done, still balance testing.
http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=789
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

PM wrote:Have Taikon buy back stuff like other Corporate stations.
No branded corporate station buys back stuff.
Amilir
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Being able to sell more high level stuff is rather important. Being able to sell armors for the composition of their ores maybe? And teratons taking high level luxuries?

Missions that pay out in rins or ringervaluable would be another good fix I think. Being less trusting than commonwealth, you'd probably have to put up collateral. This could also be a way to put in some diplomacy and detail. Do bargaining for some faction and be prepared to blast your way out if things go wrong.
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Give the ferian stations a trade screen to sell their ore and buy food and meds. Perhaps the hive has a small group of Ringers that "oversee" operations and "help" with the rin transactions?

Trade opportunities are sorely lacking in the mid-late game. Perhaps some ares aligned with the antarctica could become neutral/friendly towards the player if that mission strand is completed successfully (sdw195 nudge). Perhaps they could offer a rin-credit conversion?

Opening up the ringer and teraton inventory selection would make them much more interesting to visit at least.

There should be a viable trade route like the fuel-ice-hotel chain or even the BM runs. Once the BM shipyards show up, there's rarely anywhere to sell the products unless you backtrack a number of systems. Perhaps they could be given a purpose? You could feed it to the ferians and get them hooked. They'll pay top rin for it but if you hang around too long without getting them their fix they come looking for you! Maybe the drones can 'smell' it on your ship if you're around them with it and they decide to take a bite? That would be awesome!

Anyways... I vote for more trade. (ferian junkies is my second vote!)
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!
BlakeG228
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Maybe you could implement a currency exchange rate like banks in the real world. For example, trade X amount of yin for Y amount of dollars. It seems to me that credits and rin do not have the same value. Maybe make the player decide if he wants to sacrifice, say 3 to 5 credits per 1 rin or something like that.
All Saints Have a Past & All Sinners Have A Future...
Wurmish
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I think the issue at hand is, say, getting enough rins to get a jump drive in the first place. If you don't have ideal mining equipment, it will take a long time to get enough rins, and if you aren't able to fight off the ferian warriors, you can't kill for ore. Also, ore is limited and randomly generated up to a point, so if you don't get good ore drops (and especially if you aren't equipped for mining) you are screwed. Furthermore, ringers and teratons are rather picky (as mentioned) with what they buy.
The Ares Archcannons don't show up soon enough for jumping into the economy. In order to take down Chasms you need to have rin-bought equipment or be VERY lucky (most Chasms I see are mission-based or around Shipyards, which kick your ass pretty bad).
Fabricators seem to be too much effort for me at least...

Course I exploit AI weaknesses to kill Warriors, so this isn't an issue for me, but I'm trying to look at it from a potentially-worst-case-scenario viewpoint.
My first mod, mostly done, still balance testing.
http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=789
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

One solution nobody's mentioned is to revert the change to the Ranx. When Ranx DNs were in the reinforcement list you could farm them instead of Ferians. Not all farming is created equal.

It's like the difference between big game hunting and clubbing baby seals. Nobody clubs baby seals for fun. There's no challenge. People at least used to hunt all those big, dangerous, endangered African species for fun. Those were a challenge. Even if the Ringers pay more for baby ferian pelts than the Teratons pay for Ranx ivory I'd prefer to hunt Ranx.
sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Prophet wrote:
Trade opportunities are sorely lacking in the mid-late game. Perhaps some ares aligned with the antarctica could become neutral/friendly towards the player if that mission strand is completed successfully (sdw195 nudge). Perhaps they could offer a rin-credit conversion?

i am working on that in TNG but i might just make a mod with that in it......
/me fires up notepad++
"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"<@sheepluva>Good night everybody, may the source be with you." <-- FOSG dev
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"
sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

done!!

I give you ares rins to credits

(more info to be put in later, right now its dinner time :D )[/url]
"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"<@sheepluva>Good night everybody, may the source be with you." <-- FOSG dev
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"