Miniature Transcendence

Post about your finished mods here.
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I have taken the guts of the vanilla Transcendence and ripped out everything that I could. What I ended up with is a 4MB Transcendence that starts in the blink of an eye. It contains only the absolute necessities for running, so don't expect to be able to play any game in this version. It could probably even be made smaller if the graphics were modified.

So, what is it good for?

Scripting and testing!

The full script engine is available and you can add to the bare universe as you like. If you need to pop into a console to test an expression, you can do it in about two seconds! Very handy for those of us that keep reloading Transcendence over and over while modding.

I will try to keep Miniature T up to date with the current beta's.

If there are any suggestions for some things that *should* be in it, or things that can be taken away, please let me know.

Miniature 1.02
Miniature 1.03
Last edited by alterecco on Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Another idea for mini-transcendence is for the vanilla game it would really compress the size if it were 7zipped and compressed to a self executable
Most operating systems can handle 7zip archives but the executable would ensure it would be extractable.
I was able to shave of just under 3mb of size with a self-extracting 7z archive, likely I could do more with more compression.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

That doesn't help load time, which I think was alterecco's primary aim.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Atarlost wrote:That doesn't help load time, which I think was alterecco's primary aim.
True but on slower connections 2+ mb saves a lot of download times.
sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Ttech wrote:
Atarlost wrote:That doesn't help load time, which I think was alterecco's primary aim.

yeah it does
"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"<@sheepluva>Good night everybody, may the source be with you." <-- FOSG dev
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yeah. We in new Zealand are able to testify to that effect. Takes *forever* to get each new version george releases downloaded.
Last edited by Song on Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Dyrewulfe
Anarchist
Anarchist

Very nice!

Testbed, playground, etc...

Thanks for the debug room. :D
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Shrike wrote:Yeah. We in new Zealand are able to testify to that effect. Takes *forever* to get each new version george releases downloaded.
Yeah, I can see how this might not be fun. However, most of the data in this version is images, and they don't really compress that much. A maximum comressed 7z shaved of ~500KB, and I can't imagine that makes such a big difference.

Better it would be to optimize the images. There are many pixels in the resource folder that are not needed for this version. Help appreciated. If not I might get to it one day.

Anyways, glad someone (apart from myself) can use it :)
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Many of those images are unnecessary if you're just trying to optimize speed and minimize total size (the images account for 40% of the uncompressed size) It certainly wouldn't look nice, but you could probably remove alot of the images, reusing a few in more places and chopping up the animations (stargates, explosion) and set those to static images. The large pic of the playership can be removed altogether without any serious harm. Then take whats left, the absolute minimum and convert it to 2 bit b&w.

Regardless, I love the miniT! Now my debugging can go much faster! Thanks
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

this is awesome alterecco!

I had a project to convert all the items of the game to virtual items for total conversions adventures.
In a total conversion no T stuff should appear.

But this is even better :D
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

New 1.03 is out, so here is a Miniaturized 1.03. This time I have cut even more out, so the final download weighs in at about 1 MB

And it loads even faster this time!! :)

The only thing that is really left is a 1x1 black pixel, and a micro mp3 sample. All other resources in the game come from the exe.