The Holy Thom's Mod Site - Dead?

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
marr
Miner
Miner

Okay, so I have a couple of mods basically complete, now I need somewhere to put them. I was expecting to dump things into the site listed on the main Transcendence pages, but I see it's been inactive since the start of April.. Thom's still around, though, so what's going on there? Have you guys all stopped sending him updates?

I don't think it would be much use for me to create a seperate site just for my stuff - I'm more of a technician than a content producer, so I won't be putting out themed sets or ship packs, just unrelated individual items whenever I find new things the game can do.

Feel free to modify these for use in content mods, BTW. Just let me know if you make any fundamental improvements so's I can add them to the basic version.
bimbel
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I'm currently working on a CMS(ContentManageSystem) where you should be able to upload mods / modify your mods (edit delete etc) also there should be a general mod overview by classes (ships, misc weapon etc) and a personal page where you can see mods by one author.

The loginystem is working and I think it won't be much time till the basic rest is finished!

Problem is my final year of school started and I'm in pretty trouble right now (learn this, organize that... PAH!)
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Its good. I consider it worthy of my spectacular, Incredible mods!
bimbel
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

PlayMeNow wrote:The site for Transcendence Extensions will use this template:

http://www.templatemonster.com/website- ... /3602.html

Nice, eh? :D Now I'm waiting for that PHP coding from bimbel.
I thought we would use a own template and something not that expensive :P

And that header is way to big ^^
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

that is rather expensive...
bimbel
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

PlayMeNow wrote:I bought it a few months ago. And you reject cool templates? :cry:
I don't reject cool templates but I mostly stay with my own made simple styles(cheap, easily changable, and so on) where I can build in something like a template change system for users (so color and everything can be adjustable)

What I particular don't like of that template is the header it takes 500px in height! Meaning that with a Res of 1280*1024 only half the startscreen is filled with the content and you have to think of the people who still use 800*600...
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Its that picture below the navbar. removing that would free up a lot of space.
bimbel
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Right but I don't know if I can edit it it seems that the complete header is made of flash and I havn't learned flash yet.

In addition to that I never had such high-tech flash layout ^^

But seeing the source first is more helpful

by the way join IRC #transcendence on quakenet ^^ I'm somehow lonely there...
marr
Miner
Miner

I see fundamental problems with that template.. It's a fixed size, so it'll be impossible to use on an undersized display, and bordered by tons of useless wasted white space on an oversized one. That misses the whole point of web pages right there. It's taller than it is wide, where basically everyone's monitor is wider than it is tall, so you'll have to scroll the whole thing up and down to use it. It would be much more convincing as a science fiction computer pad if scrolling was confined to the 'screens' within the template. Both of those problems are proudly displayed right there on their demo screenshot, for some reason. :?

So I agree with bimbel. By all means take design inspiration from stuff like this, but roll your own actual display code out of gifs, divs and tables. Maybe even some frames. Much more powerful than trying to wedge your ideas into someone else's design in the long run.

The fully searchable mod database thing sounds great. Don't let that school stuff get in the way of your education!
bimbel
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

right! @ marr

I mostly try to make xhtml/css templates and I already have a good on in mind but I'm not the css-crack and so it always takes a lot time for me making a new design working/fitting for myself/ and then cross-browser (mostly I only check FF and IE)

I started with my new design today (will post it later) ;)
bimbel
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

It's still in progress ^^ and I still want to stick with my own design

http://wkjournal.cwsurf.de/test/xfinal.html

IE still looks a little bit weird and it's still not finished but I think it will be soon!