digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Weapons Extended 2
http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=407

387 weapons and missiles (yes, 387)

It contains :
-the old Weapons Extended rebalanced and updated to 0.99c
-my old weapons packs with exotic weapons.
-a new illegal weapons pack (now the black market shipyards are more interesting)
-a brand new package of alternative weapons.
-a module that overrides the dsExchangeSell and dsExchangeBuy: you will buy unknown weapon by their known prices, and you will sell unknown weapons with a formula factoring in the systemlevel (to prevent exploits)

All the mod is divided in "modules", some of them are optional and can be removed, so that you can play with only the weapons packs you want.

The mod is linux compatible.

----

1 additional module for Weapons Extended 2
Weapon Randomizer!

Weapon randomizer will randomize the WEAPONS, SHIELDS and AMMO on all the AI ships !!!
Features:
Do not need to override any ships, not even the playerships, so it works with custom playerships without any modifications.

When you launch the game you will find 3 additional items in the cargo of your ship.
A difficulty selector: choose the difficulty of the game, ingame, at any time ! Easy, Normal and Hard mode.
Weapons mode selector: choose between Normal mode where the ships will retain weapons with similar damagetypes of the original ships or Periculi's random weapons mode, where the ships will install any weapon available with similar levels!
Orb of Knowledge: all the weapons in the mod are unknown for additional fun. Because not everybody would like to play like that, I put this item that will make all the weapons known.

NOTE: This module doesn't work under linux. It crashes brutally. But I think I managed to get rid of the bug for the windows version. Save often, if you get a crash without any msg. or debug.log, please tell me. :P

----
Additional Info for modders
Some modders could be interested to make additional weapons for WE2
Here are the guidelines to add more weapons

Additional AI ships and playerships: no modifications needed.
Please do not add AI ships with 2 launchers that use different ammo, this is not supported right now. All the vanilla ships with this feaure are actually hardcoded.

Main weapons and ammoless launchers: no modifications needed.
Main weapons with 1 type of ammo: no modifications needed.
Launchers: they need at least 1 ammo table, and staticdata with the UNIDs of the ammo tables on the launcher itself. Search for a launcher in the mod to see one example. The mod will do the rest and randomize the ammo on the AI ships bearing the launchers.

Thanks to Periculi for the original idea of random equipment on ships and some part of the code.
Thanks to Betel that helped me debug most of the scripts of previous versions.
Thanks to alterecco for his Adonai Ship that helped me debug all the weapons in less than 2 days and he also helped me alot to debug the code trying to find why the mod crashes under linux.

Comments are welcome!
Have fun! :D
Last edited by digdug on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Additional updates in my mind:
- reach 500 weapons by adding a "module" with plenty of capacitors and temperature weapons, and another with variations of sovereign weapons (Ares, Dwarg, etc.)
- make the commonwealth ships do not use illegal weapons, and make the pirate ships use often illegal weapons.
- add code to randomize the armor on the ships too.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

oh, one important note to do:
in the game you will find for every main weapon that uses ammo TWO weapons:
for example:
Akan 30 cannon
Akan 30 launcher

the cannon can use only the vanilla ammo and is mounted as main weapon.
the launcher can use all the variations ammo and is mounted as launcher.

this is the same for the Smartcannon or the Kiloton, for example.

The reason for this is here:
http://www.neurohack.com/transcendence/ ... php?t=2130
bluesaberist
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

You can use the RPG that I made. It can be downloaded from xelerus. You probably should take a look at balancing the weapon level with power, it's probably too low. I'm guessing the Firebeam is way over-powered for balanced play.

Will the omni-switch weapons work? One or both of those may be useful. If I recall correctly, the function names need to be changed for them to both work at the same time.
If you drop a bar of soap on the ground, is it dirty?
If a person is legally blind, and can suddenly see, is he breaking the law?
If a friend says he's going outside to get some air, what was he breathing before?
-Brad Stein
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

You can use the RPG that I made.
Thanks! I will include it with the next weapon pack for WE2.
Will the omni-switch weapons work?
i think so. But i still haven't updated it with Atarlost's switching code. So it's not switching correctly in 0.99.
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

What a great mod series this has turned into!

Thanks again for your excellent (and hard) work, DigDug!
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Updated the Weapon Randomizer to 1.11:
http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=408

Added hook for 20 more modules.
Fixed stupid bug, ammo wasn't added to some ships. :lol:
Commonwealth ships do not use illegal weapons anymore.
Pirates use 40% of the time illegal weapons.
If no random weapon is found, the original weapon is reinstalled to the ship, to prevent ships without weapons.
Iocrym Destroyer
Anarchist
Anarchist

How long did it take you to make this?
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Well, considering I worked on it only in my spare time, it took me 5 months to rewrite the mod and add the new features.
Writing was not the problem, I spent most of the time to resolve bugs, or to find ways on how to make things work. Sharing snippet codes on IRC was essential to me that I'm not a programmer.

Btw, I'm trying to find a nice way on how to randomize the cargo of the ships. It would be nice to have the ships to actually transport random stuff, it gives a new reason to destroy that sapphire and check what it's transporting, besides the usual couple of helium rods.
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Randomize at the wreck, on docking perhaps, Digdug.

I found that worked when I was working out the details on a Traps mod, ignoring or removing the usual cargo and placing marker items in the xml to define treasure class and swapping them only when needed worked pretty well. Then you don't have to perform the randomizing script when the ship is created which can lead to slow downs, you perform it instead when you need the items-> right before the player sees them. Ships that loot wrecks still work. They end up with more markers, so when you see the loot they have the markers are switched out and no one is the wiser. It can all be done in dockscreens. And you can add tricks and traps in there easily as well.
Petrus
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I have this mod running in my latest game of transcendence and I love it. I'm constantly buying interesting looking weapons just to see what they do. It makes the progression through the game's weapons a lot more varied and fun. Thanks for making it.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

My pleasure. I enjoyed making it very much.
More to come. :D
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

WE2 Weapon Randomizer 1.12
http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=408

Fixed the Heretic bug! (thanks to naminator5 for signalling me this bug)
Now all the weapons and shields up to level 19 (included) are handled correctly.

Have fun! :D
Last edited by digdug on Sat May 09, 2009 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Weapon Extended 2.52

Added Atarlost's weapon weight fixes.
Added workaround for all the <Flare> effects.
Added unknown weapons for every damage type.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Two things:
First off, there's a typo in the browning laser description ("retired from the marked" should be "retired from the market")

Second I'm not sure the weapon randomizer is properly using third party mods. Third party don't seem to appear randomly. It's possible I'm just unlucky, but if something needs to be done to on my end I'd like to know.