Multi-player online Transcendence

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Would this be possible? Would it still be fun?

I can forsee a number of complications, and the autopilot would probably have to be disabled in this mode which might grind the game-play down to a very tedius level.

One way of doing this, and keeping the players together, would be to have a player playing the normal game, with others perhaps opting to be wingmen.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

talk about a lot of work..
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

A simple modification to the XML can be made. The only problem is you would have to either find someone who has made a server, or make your own, which isn't hard at all.

Why not make an online battle arena or something, where you can load up your save files or have a set amount of time to scavenge some items from some wrecks?
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The game engine would need to be able to communicate with a network- you can't do that with the xml.

If you ran it on a server, it would need to be adapted to work with an interface on the user system- all kinds of problems can show up here, the worst of which is usually security.

If you ran it P2P then it would need to be able to network with itself.

Not only would the game play and design and also interface design need changes- there would be major changes on many levels of the game engine to create a multiplayer platform.

However- a dueling engine might be very easy- one that could even work from save games and use your favorite all time ship build.

Other community style options might present themselves from being able to export data from save games onto a online db, which I think is being planned in future releases of trans.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Periculi wrote:The game engine would need to be able to communicate with a network- you can't do that with the xml.

If you ran it on a server, it would need to be adapted to work with an interface on the user system- all kinds of problems can show up here, the worst of which is usually security.

If you ran it P2P then it would need to be able to network with itself.

Not only would the game play and design and also interface design need changes- there would be major changes on many levels of the game engine to create a multiplayer platform.

However- a dueling engine might be very easy- one that could even work from save games and use your favorite all time ship build.

Other community style options might present themselves from being able to export data from save games onto a online db, which I think is being planned in future releases of trans.
I was thinking of AI for the time being. :P
Monk3y
Anarchist
Anarchist

It would be very interesting. However, you would need a team of developers and a very long time to do something like this in order to make it good.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Monk3y wrote:It would be very interesting. However, you would need a team of developers and a very long time to do something like this in order to make it good.
I do web. :P And linux. But not windows. :P