Trading and Larger Star Network Mod

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Here is a mod expansion of the Transcendence game that I have been working on:

Environmental Local Market and Extended Topology

You must be using the xml files to run the game to install this mod. I recommend starting with a fresh xml file set, then just copy over the new files in the mod zip folder. I have not tested this mod with any other extensions.

In this modification I have used the Full Station Explosions mod by Digdug and Bobby as a base to model the additional stations I have added. It's such a fun mod to play with, thanks guys! :)

A break down of the numbers on what this mod entails:

134+ Total Star Systems in the topology, the original path is intact and the number of systems to reach Heretic is the same. The additional nodes intersect and 'loop' the main trunk. There are many divergent paths and elusive star systems to discover. Most games you won't visit more than half of the possible systems.

36 random system models with additional environmental filters and all the original unique systems. Includes set of Hostile systems to challenge.

204 Station variants in friendly stations- environment and market based stations create a local market and each station type has it's own unique set of trading preferences.

720 resource, material, and product based trade items to learn the secrets of environmental trading.

46 navigation items- direct jump to system items added as a very rare item type. These valuable items must be used while hovering over a gate, similar to the Transpace Jumpdrive to Elysium. They are consumed in the process like a ROM.

The market operates on a 3 tier division- resouce/material/product. They form a chain. Experiment and discover the rest. :)

This is by no means a finished mod, but it is a complete model of the environmental based trading system set up in a larger topology. You will probably be able to make plenty of cash with smart trades, though I will be decreasing the profit margins in the future.

My goal here was mainly to create a larger spectrum of what was possible in settings, or content- to give a larger topology added random content to keep it interesting. So, enjoy!
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

What version is this for? Because Transscendence.xml is a no no. :/
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

hmm... my version says 0.98d, I used transdata to unpack the Trans.tdb into it's xml format to allow major changes that can't be done in a standard extension. Transcendence.xml is more of a pro pro than a no no.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

got themed branches?
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I am working on some ideas for branches, mainly this mod creates more variance in the basic friendly stations with localized filters guiding the system builds. Much more variety in trading, and you must search for the right kind of traders to sell your loot.

The topology offers some detours and branching connections, and I am working on some alternate routes that will allow you to find paths around the well known systems (generally through dangerous or hostile territory).
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ah, found it. :)

Well, I'm working on redoing some of the items you ahve, and I'm adding about 50 or so new ones, eg different levels of lazers particle beams, and a experimental ship to test with. Thought thats a seperate mod for now.
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I never jumped into ship equipment- doing trade items was something that I thought would be interesting to expand on that could make the content of the game richer in trading.

What code gem were you trying to use that gave you errors? I switched the node items from one version to another and may have left out some of the nodes that were in the original gate code set. 90% of the gate codes should be functional, I used them a lot to view various sections of the topology during it's construction.

I am actually going to scrap the code items idea as a means to getting around easier has been developed over at UTF. A transpace jumpdrive has recently been created that allows you to jump to a beacon you can set anywhere. Most wonderful! UTF Thread about it.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Periculi wrote:I never jumped into ship equipment- doing trade items was something that I thought would be interesting to expand on that could make the content of the game richer in trading.

What code gem were you trying to use that gave you errors? I switched the node items from one version to another and may have left out some of the nodes that were in the original gate code set. 90% of the gate codes should be functional, I used them a lot to view various sections of the topology during it's construction.

I am actually going to scrap the code items idea as a means to getting around easier has been developed over at UTF. A transpace jumpdrive has recently been created that allows you to jump to a beacon you can set anywhere. Most wonderful! UTF Thread about it.
So no items?
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I think that the jump to beacon style of item is more useful than the gate items, and jumping to a beacon works with topologies that give you more of an array of choices- for instance, I have a topology that I am working on that gives you a choice of network segments- one or others- if I used gate items, the networks would possibly 'leak' - if you got network A out of A-C then found a gate code item that took you to network B it would 'break' the random path choice of Network A. Using the jump to beacon to help you move through networks easier restrains the jumping around to only where you have been, so it keeps the networks separate, a much better method.

So, no gate items for randomly constructed segment topologies. But for static systems they would still be fine.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Periculi wrote:I think that the jump to beacon style of item is more useful than the gate items, and jumping to a beacon works with topologies that give you more of an array of choices- for instance, I have a topology that I am working on that gives you a choice of network segments- one or others- if I used gate items, the networks would possibly 'leak' - if you got network A out of A-C then found a gate code item that took you to network B it would 'break' the random path choice of Network A. Using the jump to beacon to help you move through networks easier restrains the jumping around to only where you have been, so it keeps the networks separate, a much better method.

So, no gate items for randomly constructed segment topologies. But for static systems they would still be fine.
Oh, I got it. the Gate items. :)
bzm3r
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

What happened to this mod? I am thinking of making my first *actual* project a trading/industry modification, and this is thus highly relevant.
pixelfck
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Well, given that the last post prior to your reply was 7 December 2007, you can safely assume it is not longer working. The game has moved along and has increased so hugely in content, that this mod would do little to help you work out your idea, or at least on the technical side of it.

Just start flashing out your ideas and worry about the technical side of it later.

Edit: I noticed you are already flashing out your own ideas in another thread.

~Pixelfck
Download the Black Market Expansion from Xelerus.de today!
My other mods at xelerus.de
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

7 years necro :) this is a new record :) :)
Generally it's best to make a new thread and link to old one.

Pixel is right, code changed so much since 2007 that there is little that you can use.
Concept instead is still very actual :)