Succession Permadeath game on Dropbox

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Save file for people not playing along on shared dropbox (353kb) (7z version, 128kb)

Well, like the archetypal doctor I have good news and bad news, but fortunately more of the former and less of the latter.

First the bad news:

-I lost the auton. It gave its life in a noble struggle against... something or other. At some point it was just gone.
-I accidentally lost all our illegals to a Commonwealth scan.
-I didn't understand how the mining scanner worked in this mod and lost all of my ID'd asteroids when I backtracked, which meant that all the flags were gone when I got back and I couldn't really do any mining in an efficient manner.
-Cygni was pretty much more of the same, at least when it came to stations. No Tinker, hotel, or corporate enclave.
-I wasted an unID'd weapon enhancement ROM on our turbolaser before I could upgrade to a better weapon.

And the good news:

-We are rich beyond dreams of avarice. I got lucky mining substantial amounts of cobalt-13 ore and helium-3 regolith before I lost my asteroid targets. Combined with salting down the Groombridge cache and most of the Ross 248 cache, this netted us about 80,000 credits. About 40,000 credits are left, because I went on a shopping spree.
-I upgraded to a Nova-100 and we are now rocking a Yoroi S500 +20% and a dual turbolaser. This is the absolute best gear that I could find in the four systems we've visited so far. Combined with the collimator and blast plate that we already had, this puts us in great shape for the next system: Rigel Aurelius!
-I found some more illegals, so we should be able to get a Black Market rom at the Hotel in Rigel. I put them in Volkov's hold along with some stuff that Dvalin will be interested in. We will probably want to create a NotForSale cache at some point, maybe in St. Katherine's Star; this stuff is pretty heavy and Volkov doesn't have much more room.

Here's the game log:

We also have a bunch of luxury food in our hold; we can either sell this at the hotel in Rigel or double back and sell it at the medical station in Groombridge. I haven't sold any fuel rods to the Ice Farm in Cygni yet; instead I backtracked and sold all the rods I found in-system to the ice farm in Ross 248 since they were still paying full price. We should be able to sell about 300 rods to the Cygni farm whenever we have accumulated that many.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Ooh, Rigel now?

Who's next?
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'll take it, since I'll be a bit busier when I was intending to have my turn.

Edit: Ok, starting now.
Edit2: Wait, no, I'm missing some extensions.....hang on.
Edit3: Ok, I'm running it now. Already had some Fun. :P
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ok. I had to erase my log 6 times and rewrite it due to formatiing fun and running out of space.

Anyway. Nice place to take a turn. I killed some anarchists and palladium miners and stole their stuff, before noticing we had 55 million damaged turbolasers and other useless weapons in our hold. So I sold those to the weapons dealers, along with arena loot and the like. I mined out the system, but couldn't sell everything (I don't know the trick to selling huge amounts of stuff).

So as a result, there's a crate of ~30-35t of titanium ore and some smartcannon shells near the shops at the arena. Just up from the entrance. Use them wisely. :P

I then decided to turn my attention to getting us a BM chip. So I tried selling some laudanum at the hotel.....and we got fined by undercover cops. It's been years since I've had that happen. But hey, it's more interesting. They didn't take our drugs though, or even search the ship....so I sold the rest of the illegals to an enclave to make a little more money. Shooting some T51/55 transports should eventually get us an ID if we can't just go to a different hotel.

I then turned my attention to the arena, and did pretty well....I used that autosentinel we had in the hold, and it lasted right up until the battle before the Slicer. It and Volkov did turret duty while I spammed our rather annoying dual-turbolaser...which isn't actually a good gun right now. It's losing DPS on nearly-dead targets because of their damned debris blocking shots.

Anyway, I blasted through the arena, getting more and more angry with katami. Why? Because the man is the reincarnation of Clippy the freaking Paperclip. Every time I selected an enemy, he'd suggest bloody Jorgan Rosh (or whatever his last name was), then suggest a DIFFERENT name when I changed to go after Jorgan. After three or four times, I killed jorgan and it got a little more bearable. I was still tempted to blow up the BM station with him inside it though. Or shoot down Kate.

But I didn't, we won right through the arena, the crowd got INCREDIBLY bored during the long and insanely drawn out battle with the slicer (yeah, lasers SUCK now we've got debris fragments), and we're going pretty well. Hiros enhancer did wonders to our S500, and I swapped our crazy ICX (which was going mad with the new debris) for a Mk.3 howitzer. I used a LOT of KM500s against the slicer, but I also bought a few straight-line rockets....Km100s, 110s and a few 120s. Use them against stations when you can....we're going to need those 500s, but we should start using more missiles, because otherwise, why buy/loot 'em?

An important note: We're running a bit overweight. Not as bad as earlier in my playthrough, but we need to watch what we have in the hold, and get rid of stuff as much as possible. The sapphire really needs to have the ability to turn quickly when you're using a gun like the dual-turbolaser. The howitzer, not so much.

Oh, and between selling our luxury goods and mining out the system, I bought some insurance. We'd have about 80K otherwise, but I reckon we NEED insurance for a playthrough like this. All in all, great fun.

Here's the save

Edit: I took a look in the next system, just a sneak peek.....hooboy, that's gonna be interesting. Good luck!
Star Weaver
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: . . . between the stars and the warm black sky . . .

Ok, the dropbox has been updated to the save shrike posted and all the prior ones have been archived.

Solar_Geo is up next, and then ... shrike, or someone else, if he's too busy? We've still got two slots open on the general rotation, I understand, and if anyone else wants to drop in and play an extra turn just post a note here stating intent -- and confirm with that day's scheduled person if they haven't gone yet -- and drop by IRC if you like.

If you're playing out of the dropbox, I suggest making a blank file called something like "in progress - my name" (.txt or whatever's easy) and then deleting it when you're done. Dropbox doesn't seem to have a file locking feature or 'using this now' flag feature built in, and it'd be nice to make sure we don't waste anyone's time by having to drop an extra copy of the same system's doings.

If anyone needs any help or a invite to the shared dropbox, I've been at least idling in IRC almost 24/7 again, so you can stop by there. If you're new there and it's quiet, remember to just ask something, someone will respond when they notice.

You can PM me your dropbox-associated email and I can add you to the list that way too, but I don't guarantee I'll notice those nearly as quickly.
Solar Geo
Miner
Miner

Ok, I'm in for the next 24 hours, will have to find out how to dropbox in that time as well so a PM might be nice. Probably won't be starting till late in my shift, I've got stuff on tonight and an essay to do at some stage in the next couple of days, but I'm sure I can find the time...
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Solar Geo wrote:Ok, I'm in for the next 24 hours, will have to find out how to dropbox in that time as well so a PM might be nice. Probably won't be starting till late in my shift, I've got stuff on tonight and an essay to do at some stage in the next couple of days, but I'm sure I can find the time...
Allow a bit more time than you expect....Admittedly, I had Rigel, which always take a while to clear....but I took a lot longer than I thought, what with having to write it up.
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

This is a great read. Sounds like fun. I'd join, but then i would just get us killed XD
Get your own Galactic Omni Device
Get it now. It's free!!
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Shrike wrote:(I don't know the trick to selling huge amounts of stuff).

So as a result, there's a crate of ~30-35t of titanium ore and some smartcannon shells near the shops at the arena. Just up from the entrance. Use them wisely. :P
Don't feel bad; you can't sell smartcannon shells anywhere and titanium ore is basically not worth hauling around.

The trick to selling more of an item than you have in your cargo hold is to first sell a smaller amount, then an entire load. For example, if you have 200 tons of plasteel ore and you can only fit 120 tons in your hold, first sell 80 tons and then sell 120 tons (this is assuming they have none in stock). This works because the price that a station will pay you depends on the ratio between the amount you have and the amount they have. If you have more in your hold than they have in stock, they will always pay you full price. So in the previous example, if the station already had 60 tons of ore in stock, you would only be able to sell 59 tons before selling the full 120 tons.

I was keeping the 16 damaged turbolasers and 20 tons of duranium ore so that we could make $$$ at a tinker but it's not a big deal; it wouldn't have been all that much more than selling them makes. These problems with energy weapons and debris are new to me; does this come from the new version or from RPC's realistic damage mod?
Solar Geo
Miner
Miner

Alright, thats me done. Didn't sell anything so credits has dropped slightly, but Shrike's Cache is rather expanded, plus a few illegals in Volkov.
Above cache also includes an undamaged Akan 30, and the arms dealer I left myself at has a particle weapon for sale.
Volkov still alive, although having him not retaliate against stations is annoying and got him in trouble once.
Some mining, scanner didn't seem to pick up on particularly much so maybe it doesn't work how I think... someone else can check over that.
Charon next up, and we all know how much fun that is ;)
Also, we're nearly up to enough coils to make a SSG in itself

Edits:
Fuel efficiency is a major problem ;)
Emailed Star the file since my computer hates me as does my proxy >.>
Finally! http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17016218/TxSucc ... olarGeo.7z

Hold this space for actual SAV file once I work out how this newfangled internetz thing works... (has never used dropboxing in my life except on a LAN network)
Last edited by Solar Geo on Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Wait, we're up to charon? Brilliant. Personally my "favourite" thing with Volkov is him being too close, so trying to dock at stations results in trying to dock with him.....as he tries to maintain position, thus giving us infinite propulsion.....
Edit: It would have to be 7zip wouldn't it? Ok, I'll go download the tool to open it....

Edit2: ok, here I go. Let's see what I can find...
Last edited by Song on Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Shrike, did you destroy Kate Morgental's Corporate Enforcer? I always do; immediately having access to her quadrocarbide/Rasiermesser Launcher makes a big difference once you get the Military ROM. She even acknowledges what happens when you get to Charon, although she doesn't say anything about it when you defeat the Slicer for some reason.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

No, I didn't.

I'm pausing my playthrough for a few hours...I've cleared charon, now I'm off to loot the corpses, mine the system, and see what money I can make. Since the nearest armor dealer I can go to is in Rigel, it's taking a while...I'm also selling stuff that Solar found (weapons mostly). I've got a small cache of XM300's....they're in reserve for scavenger-killing. I am NOT selling ore, and I'm working to move everything left in the rigel cache up to Charon so we can sell stuff to St. K's. Whoever is on next: You're gonna be able to sell all this stuff to the industrial complexes and get us past the 100K mark. We're down to about 60-65K as of writing, from a low of 55K or so when I picked up the save.

I've identified monopole dust, and our armor (blast plate, still), is now blind/EMP-immune. I also accidentally speed-enhanced our mining laser, so.....um...it's actually possibly the best weapon we've got right now. It was killing drakes WAY faster than volkov's x-ray laser, that's for sure. That focused beam cuts through the debris of a dying ship and then goes right into just ONE segment...meaning it's lower in theoretical DPS...but in terms of actual damage-to-target, it's really awesome. I didn't get to use the Mk3...I had to shut it down to save fuel.

Oh, and korolov died in the last seconds of the battle. It was, however, VERY close....I (and some very handy centurions) killed all the drakes and corsair IIs...we just got the last two drakes a little too late.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ok, I'm going to continue playing now, and edit this thread with the results. it's gonna be boring, mind.

Edit:

PART TWO!

So there was a LOT of uhaul work to do. We've now got a VAST cache of stuff in charon, including everything that WAS in rigel.
Now...small issue here. Turns out I didn't look hard enough in Rigel, and there's a bunch of enclaves there that COULD have bought our ores....so if the next guy wants to cart the titanium back and deal with it....that's up to them. See what the industrials in St.K's want first though....if we can fuel them, then we'll make a FORTUNE.

If there's an ice Farm around, we've got a lot of fuel rods....some bought, some looted. We've also got a bucketload of missiles, armors, repair items (use these! If we can get our repair skill up to par, it makes it so much easier later when it's a case of 'The patch is what keeps us alive')...4 heliotrope fuel rods (I found another map ROM and used it in Ankaa....the heliotropes and some uraks were hiding off in the middle of nowhere).

Contents of Rigel Cache (cache is on the planet right next to the St.K's WH, and is obvious when you start up the save):

Crate 1 (top):
1 barrel Centauri Rice
4 barrels Class A grains
7 crates synthetic chicken (yummy!)
2 containers frozen supplies
14 barrels hydrocarbons
4 casks Venus Hellas Rum

Crate 2: (Middle):
41t Cerallox ore
3t gold ore
30t Xenotite Ore
12t cobalt-thorium ore
142t palladium ore
25t helium regolith
105t plasteel ore
255t titanium ore (hahahaha. It's possible to sell all of this with a backtrack to rigel if the industrials won't buy it)
40t Uranium ore

Woohoo! 653 tons of rock in one small box!

Crate 3 (left):
2 NAMI launchers
1 Turbolaser
2 laser cannons
10 XM300 "Reaper" missiles
370 KM500 "Stilletto" missiles
190 KM100 "Longbow" missiles
318 Smatcannon rounds (Let's see if we can carry these all the way to the core!)
1 Nova 50 Reactor
1 ICX turret
1 Laser collimator
2 segments reactive armor
1 segment ultra-light titanium armor
1 Light Armor repair kit (THIS IS USEFUL, DO NOT SELL IT!)
9 superconducting coils
5 barrels repairing nanos (These are ALSO useful!)

Crate 4 (right):
418 helium fuel rods
1 barrel rejuv tank fluid
16 cases artificial plasma
9 rolls of hyperfibre
3 tanks liquid oxygen
45 tanks water ice

There's also a little bit of stuff in the ship and Volkov. I've set up the ship for low-power.....against most enemies, we can turn off the shield, the howitzer and the dual-turbolaser and just use our mining laser of DOOM to kill them....and it REALLY saves fuel. Like, more than 5-8 times the fuel endurance. But we've got fuel rods now, so we can stop doing that.
Our number one problem right now is that big +50% S500 that let me waltz through the arena: It's a SERIOUS power drain and it's eating our fuel like nothing. We're going to need a 150NX or enough heliotrope rods to enhance our reactor soon, or we're going to keep on having fuel problems.

I'll upload the save in just a little bit...I might just backtrack a little more to repair the armor of the few dents it's got.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ok, Here's the save.

Starts you off with everything turned off, next to the Charon cache and the gate to St. kat's. Turn on what you want and go for it...just keep that shield turned off when we don't need it....that thing is an INSANE fuel-drain.