Need more info on canvas functions

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
PKodon
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant
Location: "Minocs. I've got a baaad feeling about this.... This is no cave!"

Hi,

I'm trying to do some things with the new canvas functions in a couple of mods (for one, see http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=650 ) and, though I've looked through the code for Vanilla Transcendence in 1.0rc4, I have little clue as to what some of the optional parameters do.

(cnvDrawImage x y imageDesc [screen] [ID])
(cnvDrawRect x y width height color [screen] [ID])
(cnvDrawText x y text font color alignment [screen] [ID])

For instance, what do the [screen] and [ID] parameters do, and how do I use them?

Also, I can figure out the origin for cnvDrawImage and cnvDrawRect, but, at least for centered text using cnvDrawText, if the text were supposed to be near the top of the dock screen panel, it would need negative coordinates, and currently takes a lot of experimentation to get it placed.

Anyone have any notes on these commands? I'd appreciate some input.

PK
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

As you said, both screen and ID are optional. You don't need them if your call is inside of a <Canvas> element.

In the future, you could use screen and ID to draw to a <Canvas> element from a different event (e.g., <Initialize>) but I haven't tried that, so don't know if it will work yet.
PKodon
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

So, do I understand this correctly, George, you don't know how it works, or if it works, either?

PK
PKodon
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Oh yeah, and that still doesn't tell me how to calculate the position of that text.
george moromisato wrote:As you said, both screen and ID are optional. You don't need them if your call is inside of a <Canvas> element.

In the future, you could use screen and ID to draw to a <Canvas> element from a different event (e.g., <Initialize>) but I haven't tried that, so don't know if it will work yet.