altering ship mods into 98d

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
section6
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

with the new creation of more then 20 faces for ships i was wondering if i could take my heavaly mdded ships i mam using in my 98b game and mod them so that they can work in 98d (i.e. give them 40 faces) without remaking the mod.

also i still cant get transdata to work with my vista
Kamikaze
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I found that transdata can be run with a shortcut. Just add the switch you wish to use to the end of "target".
I never said I was sane.

I said I was perfectly insane.
section6
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

i figured out how to open transdata, but how to make mods is a mystery to me

but whats importint is how to make ship mods with 40 faces
Sponge
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Ships don't need to have 40 faces to work in the newer versions. If you want to give them more faces, you need to have at least a clue about graphic manipulation. The game uses one big image for each ship. Each facing is in a long/tall image, and the programmer (modder) specifies how large each facing is. The game engine then "boxes" off each facing in this long image, and treats them as separate images.

To double the facings, you have to take that big image, copy every other facing, move it into position, and then rotate it by 9 degrees. This is a huge pain, and no matter what you do, the lighting effects will still only have 20 real facings. You can't really see it on smaller ships, but it looks pretty laggy on bigger ones. To do it right, you'd need the original 3D files which only George has.
section6
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

soo forever my ship will have only 20 faces
Sponge
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I doubt anyone would do it for you, but you're more than capable of learning how to do it. It's not hard, just tedious.
Psycholis
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

You could always just make a paper fleet like me. :) Paper fleet meaning that all the ships are 2d. :/ I have no 3d program, so I did everything in paint and paintshop pro for odd rotations. I've got like.. 12 paper ships ready. Go paper fleet go!
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Psycholis wrote:You could always just make a paper fleet like me. :) Paper fleet meaning that all the ships are 2d. :/ I have no 3d program, so I did everything in paint and paintshop pro for odd rotations. I've got like.. 12 paper ships ready. Go paper fleet go!
Got the mod or an SC? :)
Psycholis
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Finishing up soon! Includes the 12 ships in JPG, the masks and a simple (really simple) .xml to see them in action.