Do only spaceship captains get called by Domina?

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Or can anyone be called to become a pilgrim? What would someone do if they didn't have a spaceship but felt the compulsion to travel to the Core?

Do Transhumans (Ringers, Teratons, Ares, Zoanthropes) get called? How many pilgrims have there been since people first started getting called?

Did the Sisters of Domina voluntarily self-organize or are they called by Domina to do so?

Thoughts?
Cirevam
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Non-captains probably hitch rides until people refuse to take them any further. One of the lore entries mentions a freighter pilot transporting some Sisters so I figure that's at least a possibility.
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I suppose it's like real-life pilgrims that travel thousands of kilometers to get to holy sites - some get plane flights, some travel by car, some walk; whatever you have to do to get there. Pilgrims of Domina are no different -- I think that some would hitch-hike, some would stow-aboard Korolov freighters, some would just work their way there, etc.

I guess it's only the truly devoted (and blessed) that would even get close to the Core -- considering the player needs military-grade equipment to get there, I think the regular person would have to be content with being a Sister of Domina, and spend more of their time in reaching enlightenment in different ways.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'm inclined to believe the sisters provide cheap @#$! spacecraft to pilgrims without the resources to buy something decent. If Domina wills it they'll survive even so. If they don't survive, well Domina works in mysterious ways.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Atarlost wrote:I'm inclined to believe the sisters provide cheap @#$! spacecraft to pilgrims without the resources to buy something decent. If Domina wills it they'll survive even so. If they don't survive, well Domina works in mysterious ways.
I don't really see this happening, given that the sisters frequently deny the player services near the beginning of the game ("We cannot allow your ship to contaminate our shrine", etc.) It seems to me that the sisters are only inclined to assist pilots who give them stuff.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Watch TV, Do Nothing wrote:It seems to me that the sisters are only inclined to assist pilots who give them stuff.
Except for plot coupons, yes. Giving them stuff is key to getting cheap stuff, namely fuel.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
LordSutekh
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Maybe the reason that the Kobol and the Rogue Fleet attack you is so that they can get the resources for their own pilgrimage to the core.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

LordSutekh wrote:Maybe the reason that the Kobol and the Rogue Fleet attack you is so that they can get the resources for their own pilgrimage to the core.
Do we really know anything about the Kobol or Rogue Fleet?
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I thought that Rogue fleet were simply groups of fleet soldiers that deserted. Maybe they are not even a single faction, as, maybe, they are as isolate as the CSC they abandoned.
LordSutekh
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

That's my point. We don't know anything about these factions and why they are hostile towards you. Put yourself in the place of some Kobol captain. The Commonwealth attacks you on sight, but your people have managed to build a station in some backwater system. Suddenly you get the call from Domina. What do you do? The same thing the player does. You go out and attack some enemy ships and loot them for resources for your journey to the core.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Roving ships seem to occur in packs and are usually associated with stations in their system. I can't think of any points in the game where the player will encounter a single, free-roaming hostile gunship.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

It would be cool to be able to pick of Domina hitchhikers. All of the default playerships have enough habitable volume for at least two crew. The second pilgrim would reduce Domina cooldowns and possibly give some other small bonus. Perhaps you could choose an engineer, who would slightly improve your fuel economy by optimizing your systems, or a tinker who would add an interior dockscreen to turn multiple broken items into a fixed item, or a merchant who would be able to haggle for you to get slightly better buy and sell prices.
Literally is the new Figuratively
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Atarlost wrote:It would be cool to be able to pick of Domina hitchhikers. All of the default playerships have enough habitable volume for at least two crew. The second pilgrim would reduce Domina cooldowns and possibly give some other small bonus. Perhaps you could choose an engineer, who would slightly improve your fuel economy by optimizing your systems, or a tinker who would add an interior dockscreen to turn multiple broken items into a fixed item, or a merchant who would be able to haggle for you to get slightly better buy and sell prices.
Do Want!
Someone please make this mod.
(func(Admin Response)= true){
if(admin func(amiable) = true)
Create func(Helpful Posts)
else func(Keep Calm and Post derisive topics)}
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

FourFire wrote:
Atarlost wrote:It would be cool to be able to pick of Domina hitchhikers. All of the default playerships have enough habitable volume for at least two crew. The second pilgrim would reduce Domina cooldowns and possibly give some other small bonus. Perhaps you could choose an engineer, who would slightly improve your fuel economy by optimizing your systems, or a tinker who would add an interior dockscreen to turn multiple broken items into a fixed item, or a merchant who would be able to haggle for you to get slightly better buy and sell prices.
Do Want!
Someone please make this mod.
This would just be a great idea in general, even if they weren't hitchikers. In fact, it could work like wingmen, were you hire/get a 'Support' person, and they might decide to abandon you half-way to the Core.
Dedalo
Miner
Miner

I completely agree with that!
I think it makes things more interesting and would add a greater range of options for the player.
It would also make the game more "realistic" :)
Physics hurts! Especially when she's in a bad mood.