Station explosions

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Kamikaze
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Yes, I HAVE watched too many cheap hollywood movies, but...

It's a sci-fi action game. Action and stuff blowing up go hand in hand.

Sci-fi and possibilities for explosives.

Dogs and cats living together.

Mass hysteria.
I never said I was sane.

I said I was perfectly insane.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Antimatter fuel ought to go boom pretty well.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

in this case I think gameplay trumps realism. Sitting on a station is far to advantageous you avoid the guards and you can't miss the station. Even if the station is firing at you you can most likely destroy it before it can kill you.
Maybe a different solution would help everyone.

When you fire at a station it vents plasma the direction it was fired at. This can simulate breeching weapons/fuel. That would be more realistic and solve the problem of just sitting on top until its 99% dead then going off then killing it.
Crying is not a proper retort!
OddBob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I think making the station transparent to the shots of its defenders is a pretty good solution. Makes sense as you can't really hide inside it anyway.

Another (possibly cumulative) way is to give stations most stations one or more very short range, inaccurate, fast firing weapons (AA guns basically). It makes sense that even civilian station would have something like this to destroy debris and such that gets dangerously close.
Sponge
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I like your first solution, Oddbob. People need to remember that you're actually playing in three dimensions. You can't actually be ON TOP of a station. This could also work for sitting on planets.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Or you could just push them off with a momentum cannon? While you can get on top of a base you can stay still and will unavoidably end up in full view of the defenders.

AA guns have been suggested before, and those would also make stations more interesting (don't even try to get on top of an enemy station).
OddBob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Or you could just push them off with a momentum cannon? While you can get on top of a base you can stay still and will unavoidably end up in full view of the defenders.
This works, but I think it's kind of wierd. Perhaps "tacky" is the word. Stations carry guns whose purpose is to push away ships that fly "on top" of them?
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Perhaps it is tacky, but the purpose isn't to push people that are "on top" of them. Stations carry guns its push people away that are so close to them that the defenders can't risk using their own weapons.
Sponge
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I think "tacky" is the exact word I would use. You are in three dimensions, and as such can not be on top of a station. Defenders who don't want to shoot the station can just aim at you.

My suggestion is as follows:
The playership can attack all stations.
Ships allied to certain stations will shoot through said stations.
Ships who are enemies to certain stations can attack said stations.

This seems like a very elegant solution. Think about it. You have a ball on a piece of paper. You want to knock the ball off. How do you do that? You hit the ball. There's nothing there forcing you to hit the piece of paper. You're flying OVER the station, not on the station.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

While I agree in part with your solution, you fail to read my previous post. The momentum cannon is not unrealistic because its purpose is to get rid of something from "on top". That is not its purpose. Its purpose is to move a target away from itself so the defenders don't have to worry about blowing a hole in their own station. In this case the player being "on top" of a station merely signifies being really close to the hull of that station. What may be unrealistic is the idea of using such a weapon to impart force effectively and efficiently. That and the momentum projectiles look out of place-ish.
Sponge
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I read your post, and you summed up my concerns exactly in the last line or two of the post right above this. I just fear it would seem like "forced" fix if a station just shoved you off. If it's going to have weapons, why would it have a momentum cannon instead of something that actually packs a punch? I just feel that (partially) using the z axis is a more elegant solution.
(name here)
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Actually, you would have no secondary fusion, just a buch of super-high velocity plasma. But the fuel rods would overheat, and make a shower of contained plasma. No need to worry about radiation, in the event of a containment failure, you would only have very low-level radiation, and then only for about a mile.
Frits
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Or something with the same effect as the walls in the Arena?
When i read the mentioning of a momentum weapon instead i was thinking more of the station's gravity (whether artificial or natural) making the player ship move out and away from the station.
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I got the Death Drug explosion weapon in a Ranx outpost!! And then got it installed by a local CSC. :twisted:
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I like the idea. Also think it would be nice to have a message (to the player) stating that the station manager has initiated a self-destruct code (with a visual timer) once the station is damaged severely-85% or so.
A very brief warning for escape.

I don't think all stations should explode, instead, have variations on the theme-- ideas such as...
Some could explode. Some could initiate self-destruct then explode when 90-100% damaged. Some could use "repulser beams" to push the playership off of the station....or transpace the player a good distance away. Some could "borrow" the cyberdeck disarm to shut down the players weapons.

At any rate, should there be station explosions implemented in the game, would be great the see the explosion effects!