Transcedence for other platforms

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Iocrym Destroyer
Anarchist
Anarchist

I think that George, or someone willing to format this for it, should make an iPhone app. Personally, I think that it would do really well, considering how developed it is. I also think, for time and money compensation, that it should cost one or two dollars. Which is a fair price. That and the game would be perfect for the iPhone control wise. Anyone else agree with me?
Last edited by Iocrym Destroyer on Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I don't think it could be adapted to the iPhone resolution and remain playable.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yeah. Avoiding mines and aiming at, say, hornets....would be....hard. Challenging. Tough. No, that's not right.....

Ah, yes. Damned near impossible.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Sight distances would be dangerously short too if you reduced the main view significantly, and you'd have to for any screen less than 600 px in either dimension.
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Plus, it wouldn't exactly be easy to port it over, and it wouldn't really make playing the game any easier or anything... A Wii port I might like to see, but Transcendence just aint' a handheld game.

Also, I doubt that the iPhone would have enough CPU power to actually run Transcendence...

I kinda want to play transcendence right now...
[schilcote] It doesn't have to be good, it just has to not be "wow is that the only thing you could think of" bad
SparcMan
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

schilcote wrote:Plus, it wouldn't exactly be easy to port it over, and it wouldn't really make playing the game any easier or anything... A Wii port I might like to see, but Transcendence just aint' a handheld game.
A Wii port.. That's a pretty decent idea. Anyone know how to make games for Wii?
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

SparcMan wrote:
schilcote wrote:Plus, it wouldn't exactly be easy to port it over, and it wouldn't really make playing the game any easier or anything... A Wii port I might like to see, but Transcendence just aint' a handheld game.
A Wii port.. That's a pretty decent idea. Anyone know how to make games for Wii?
Know how? Certainly. Able to? Certainly not.

If someone were willing to do the port, I can get it onto the HBC (we're never going to get it officially distributed, you'd have to buy a license for that; they expect you to make five or six internationally released games with those and Nintendo charges accordingly) and I can do testing and bug-finding, but I really don't know C++ or whatever Transcendence is coded in well enough to port it over to the Wii.
[schilcote] It doesn't have to be good, it just has to not be "wow is that the only thing you could think of" bad
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Transcendence is too interface intensive for a wii. The wii just doesn't have enough buttons.
SparcMan
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Atarlost wrote:Transcendence is too interface intensive for a wii. The wii just doesn't have enough buttons.
I think a HBC version would be just fine and the Wiimote has 6 buttons and a D-pad and the nunchuck has two more buttons and an analog stick. The analog stick and one button could be used as a function selector for up to 8 non-combat options. That gives you 15 button functions. some things could be context sensitive as well (would could combine Gate and Dock for example). I think it *COULD* be done, but I realize it's not likely to happen.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

We can use the Wii SDK and port it to Wii, or we could have it on Xbox Live Arcade.

Anything else wouldn't work particularly well, with the exception of a PSP port.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

SparcMan wrote:
Atarlost wrote:Transcendence is too interface intensive for a wii. The wii just doesn't have enough buttons.
I think a HBC version would be just fine and the Wiimote has 6 buttons and a D-pad and the nunchuck has two more buttons and an analog stick. The analog stick and one button could be used as a function selector for up to 8 non-combat options. That gives you 15 button functions. some things could be context sensitive as well (would could combine Gate and Dock for example). I think it *COULD* be done, but I realize it's not likely to happen.
Dock and gate can't be combined because nothing at all prevents stations from overlapping gates. This happens routinely in the Ares convoy mission if you're under equipped, and may also happen at the entry gate if you're heavily armed, it's close, and you have a pteracnium megadrive and/or jumpdrive.

And no other pair can be combined at all.
  1. menu (esc)
  2. switch missile (tab)
  3. sQuadron orders
  4. Weapon switch
  5. cleaR target
  6. Target hostile
  7. Use
  8. Invoke domina power
  9. Autopilot
  10. Ship status
  11. Dock
  12. target Friend
  13. Gate
  14. fire missile (shift)
  15. Communications
  16. enaBle/disaBle devices
  17. Map
Maybe you can combine communications and squadron orders, but that still leaves you a button short. And no mods, because you can't have use keys in mods unless you can map every single alphanumeric key.
Viperion
Miner
Miner

If George was willing to allow the assets to be used, someone could make a 'Transcendence RPG' ala the Doom RPG, but a straight port of Transcendence to the iPhone would not work. I don't even think it would work on the iPad. The game would not be fun like a Transcendence the PC game.

The Hyper Viper
Clear Air Turbulence
Closed Account
Closed Account

I had a Joy2Key keybinding file that allowed me to play Transcendence with a clone of a Playstation 2 controller, so while it may be difficult to do a Wii port without changing the interface a little, I bet it would be easy to make a port for the Xbox360, whose controllers have as many buttons as the PS2s.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Aren't those designed to pipe through a TV?

Those will run into the resolution problem. Either you won't be able to see past your nose, or small ships will be nothing but a handful of blurry pixels.

If they output SVGA though, yes it can probably be done. Still no mods though because a mod with invoke keybindings requires enough buttons to map all 36 letters and numbers. Maybe more. I've never tried using something like ';' as an invoke key so it may or may not work.
Jeoshua
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

So you're claiming that rather than merely scaling down the image size, that Transcendence NEEDS to be played on an HD screen?

Rememebr guys, this is the age of 1080i... anything is possible with HD.

But it's not really needed. If you scale the images proportionately Transcendence could theoretically be played on any size of screen.

The thing stopping people from saying "Transcendence? Yeah, theres an app for that." Is the controller. Even with multitouch, the interface would have to be very, very different from what we're used to.